Technical SEO Audit is the process to check the technical aspect of the website. We need to check the health of a website and find out the fix to improve the performance.
- Basic Preparation
- Date of Audit
- Domain Name
- Brand Name
- Location of the Server
- How is the website currently generating leads?
- Does the website regularly produce content? Y/N
- The email address of domain owner
Check search volume
- Look at recent search volume
- Look at historical search volume
What is the current organic search traffic monthly?
What direction is the search volume trending?
- What is the current top organic keyword?
- What is the current second-highest-ranking organic keyword?
- What is the current third highest-ranking organic keyword?
Check competitor traffic
There are a lot of free and paid tools available to view keyword ranking and competitor traffic for an SEO audit, but we’re sticking with SERMRush for the convenience of having a free tool that offers a variety of different analysis options that we can tweak to get a good look at the overall performance of a domain’s SEO
Search Engine Results Page (SERP) presence:
Check Page Ranking
- Search all major search engines for your brand name
- For which search engines did the domain appear as the first result?
- How many pages appear in the results for a root domain search?
- Are there any links to the domain on the first page of results for a brand search?
- Provide additional observations on-page ranking
Check for SERP features
- Rich Snippets
- Paid Results
- Universal Results
- Knowledge Graphs
What SERP features appeared for the brand name search?
- Paragraph (Featured Snippet)
- Bulleted list (Featured Snippet)
- Numbered list (Featured Snippet)
- Table (Featured Snippet)
- Video (Featured Snippet)
- Rich Snippet
- Rich Card
- Knowledge Graph
- Knowledge Panel
- Local Pack
- Image Pack
- Site Links
- News Box
- Adwords Top (paid)
- Adwords Bottom (paid)
Are any of the search listings negatively affecting the brand’s reputation?
- There are negative listings / There are no negative listings
- Check that robots.txt exists
- Check that robots.txt is not blocking any content it shouldn’t be
- Check that robots.txt does not contain information that could be exploited
Check the domain has HTTPS security encryption
Does the domain have HTTPS encryption?
- HTTPS encryption is active
- HTTPS encryption is not active
Set up HTTPS security encryption
- Acquire an SSL certificate and a dedicated IP address
- Install and properly configure the SSL certificate on your web server machine
Check canonical legitimacy
Make the following checks and confirm them by marking the sub-tasks and completing the form fields below.
- Check http://domain.com for canonical tags
- Check https://domain.com for canonical tags
- Check http://www.domain.com for canonical tags
- Check https://www.domain.com for canonical tags
- Check http://domain.com/index.htm for canonical tags
- Check https://domain.com/index.htm for canonical tags
- Check http://domain.com/index.html for canonical tags
- Check https://domain.com/index.html for canonical tags
- Check http://domain.com/index.php for canonical tags
- Check https://domain.com/index.php for canonical tags
- Make sure all canonical tags point to the same URL
- Check link health
- Verify internal links
- Make sure there is only one H1 tag on the page
- Make sure the H1 tag contains the page’s keyword
- Make sure all of the images on the page have correctly formatted alt text
- Make sure there is no hidden content on the page
- Check Ahrefs Rank
- Check backlinks
- Compare against competitors
Evaluate your brand’s social media presence
- Search all primary search engines for “brand name” + “Facebook”
- Search all primary search engines for “brand name” + “twitter”
- Search all primary search engines for “brand name” + “Linkedin”
- Search all primary search engines for “brand name” + “Reddit”
- Search all primary search engines for “brand name” + “Instagram”
Which social media searches yielded relevant profiles?
Are all social media profiles complete and updated?
- Complete and updated
- Incomplete or outdated
Is new content being published regularly on social media pages?
- New content is posted regularly
- New content is not posted regularly
Does there seem to be much social interaction with the content (comments, likes, shares, etc.)?
- A high degree of social interaction
- Some social interaction
- Little to no social interaction